Installation

Upgrade splunk from 4.3 to 5.0.3 not working

imrankh

Hi,

I upgraded splunk from 4.3 to 5.0. What i did.

place the tar.gz achive in the folder where splunk folder is.
stopped splunk
untar the file , it replaced my older splunk directory.
I changed the perms to splunk as how it was used to be.
started splunk
Now as i login to splunk, i still see older version.

even /splunk/bin/splunk --version also showing older version.

Can you please tell where and what is missing.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

seems likely to me that you unpacked the tgz file one directory level down, e.g, your old install was in /opt/splunk/, and your new one is in /opt/splunk/splunk.

you could either move up to /opt and then do the untar, or stay in /opt/splunk and use --strip-components=1 to remove the first-level directory from the paths in the tar file.

View solution in original post

imrankh

Hi,

my splunk install is /opt/corporate/splunk
i placed the tar file in /opt/corporate/ and did the untar, thus it replaced my splunk directory (which is the first one). i then changed the ownership recursively on that directory.

Thanks

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

seems likely to me that you unpacked the tgz file one directory level down, e.g, your old install was in /opt/splunk/, and your new one is in /opt/splunk/splunk.

you could either move up to /opt and then do the untar, or stay in /opt/splunk and use --strip-components=1 to remove the first-level directory from the paths in the tar file.

imrankh

Hi, thanks , need to confirm the right directory.

0 Karma

imrankh

Hi,

my splunk install is /opt/corporate/splunk
i placed the tar file in /opt/corporate/ and did the untar, thus it replaced my splunk directory (which is the first one). i then changed the ownership recursively on that directory.

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...