Installation

Unable to stop splunk

abhayneilam
Contributor

when I am giving "splunk stop" I am getting the following errors :

splunkweb: unable to stop the service : Access is denied.

splunkd: unable to stop the service : Access is denied.

please help me out to solve this issue

Thanks in advance

Tags (4)
0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Haha, I do agree wit @Drainy, that's why I put in the disclaimer, however you never know... maybe that "one guy" left the office and subsequently left the services running as his name... any a SysAdmin will definantely be your best bet in troubleshooting permission/user related issues.... unless you are the SysAdmin

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Uh... its probably the most descriptive error you could receive... did you check what user it was running as? did you speak to whoever started it? did you start it as another user? I would avoid everything after the second sentence on MHibbins answer, you just need to stop it with the correct user - anything else could, as he says, cause WORLD ENDING PROBLEMS. 🙂

MHibbin
Influencer

Sounds to me like you do not have the correct account/permissions to control Splunk.

Are you making sure you are using thecorrect user? - perhaps it was started with "sudo" permissions (on nix systems)..

If you really can't stop Splunk naturally, you could always try to force the services to stop. Unix/Linux you can use the kill command in conjunction with the relevant PID information, which can be obtained by using the following (FOR EXAMPLE):

ps -ef | grep -i splunk | grep -v grep

Or if you are using Windows you can find this by navigating to the "Windows Task Manager" and the "Processes" tab and find Splunkd and Splunkweb.

But this is obviously for last-resort situations... you should find out why your user can't control Splunk, for example speak to your SysAdmin.

NOTE: WHEN KILLING/STOPPING PROCESSES, ALL CARE MUST BE TAKEN AS THE WRONG PROCESS COULD HAVE SERIOUS IMPLICATIONS... if you are unsure contact your SysAdmin

Cheers.

MHibbin
Influencer

@alacercogitatus, haha... very funny

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

http://youtu.be/Fow7iUaKrq4 😄 (portions NSFW)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...