Installation

Splunk ended support for Windows 7 in latest 6.5 release

amit_saxena
Communicator

Hi all,

Just noticed from Splunk download page that Windows 7 is no more listed as supported OS for Splunk 6.5 enterprise while it was listed as supported OS till Splunk 6.4.3 release. I confirmed this from http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Installation/SystemRequirements too.

I have a Splunk environment running in my laptop. Post this release update, I am not sure if I should create a VM ( of supported OS like Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter edition ) in my laptop and then do a fresh install of 6.5 or do a upgrade / fresh install of 6.5 despite the version not supported.

Please let me know if anybody has did a upgrade / fresh install of Splunk 6.5 on Windows 7 OS.

Regards,
Amit Saxena

Tags (1)
1 Solution

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

As you are installing it for learning purpose, this issue has come.
Enterprise Splunk installations will be on unix/linux or on a high end windows system.

so, the vm with windows 8 looks to be a good option for your case.
or do a upgrade / fresh install of 6.5 despite the version not supported ---

--- i dont think this is possible, as the installation procedure will look for windows 8 os.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richard_kent
Explorer

Splunk Enterprise 6.5 is no longer supported from an official standpoint, but I have upgraded to 6.5 on Win 7 and did not encounter any issues. In fact, it did not even notify me that Win7 is unsupported.

If you need official support from Splunk, then do not proceed. If this is a test instance on your laptop, then I think you are more than fine to upgrade.

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

As you are installing it for learning purpose, this issue has come.
Enterprise Splunk installations will be on unix/linux or on a high end windows system.

so, the vm with windows 8 looks to be a good option for your case.
or do a upgrade / fresh install of 6.5 despite the version not supported ---

--- i dont think this is possible, as the installation procedure will look for windows 8 os.

0 Karma

richard_kent
Explorer

I have successfully upgraded my Splunk Enterprise to version 6.5 and it's running on Win 7. You may not get official Splunk Support, but if it's a lab instance you should not encounter any issues.

FYI, the Enterprise 6.5 installer didn't even warn about Win7 not being supported.

0 Karma

amit_saxena
Communicator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. As you have mentioned, I will go with fresh provisioning of new Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition VM and install Splunk 6.5 on it.

Regards,
Amit Saxena

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...