Installation

Setup index cluster- Why is only cluster master showing?

MattKr
Explorer

Dear Community,
i am trying to setup my companies Splunk setup to my home lab for learnig purposes.
It is a single site cluster with indexer and search head cluster.
So far i am able to setup the cluster master followed by adding the indexer to the cluster master
and then setup the shc cluster with its member, bootstrap and then add the shc members
to the cluster master.

But something i do wrong here, when i look to the MC on the cluster master then only the cluster master
itself is showing up with all roles attached. The previous added machines are not appearing?

One question ahead, is this kind of setup possible using the free licenses on each peer instead of a license master?

thx in advance

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

We have had some discussion about difference licenses on https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/Is-the-Free-license-for-home-lab-available/m-p/644962. Based on it, You cannot use free license for clustering. Basically you can use trial license on every node for creating this environment just for trial purpose. But it's better to use Developer license which officially contains needed features to do this kind of lab environment.

Also you must add those SH's as a search peers to your master node (or where ever your MC is running). Another thing is that you must use Distributed mode for it. Don't put your MC on your SHC!

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

We have had some discussion about difference licenses on https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/Is-the-Free-license-for-home-lab-available/m-p/644962. Based on it, You cannot use free license for clustering. Basically you can use trial license on every node for creating this environment just for trial purpose. But it's better to use Developer license which officially contains needed features to do this kind of lab environment.

Also you must add those SH's as a search peers to your master node (or where ever your MC is running). Another thing is that you must use Distributed mode for it. Don't put your MC on your SHC!

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...