Installation

Migrating Splunk data from one server (6.3.2) to another server with the version 7.2.6

wmbsrinath

Hello Team,

We have old splunk servers with the version 6.3.2 abd our organization has built brand new servers with SPlunk ( version 7.2.6) installed on it. i want to move all the contents , indexes , data models ,LDAP settings , apps and all the data into new servers.

Could you please let me know what is the step by step process and kindly provide the user guide for this requirement.

Many thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ekost
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If I had a single-instance Splunk Enterpirse instance that I was decommissioning for a new instance, and I was unable to do a migration-and-overwrite procedure, I'd need to hand-review and copy all of my configurations and data between the old and new instances. That's a good bit of work, as you're rebuilding the infrastructure.

Once the new instance was properly configured with basics such as licensing and was running, I'd move over the user configurations ($splunk_home/etc/users) and auth settings. Have a non-admin user test the auth basics.
Once auth was tested and working, I'd make a list and reinstall all the "enabled" apps from the old instance on the new one.
If it's not a splunkbase app, it might be custom made. So you'll migrate those enabled, unique apps by hand from the old instance to the new one. Once again, have a non-admin user login and test the basics.
Get a diag from the old instance for configuration backup and verification purposes.

I'd then want to manage the index data. But first I'd review the volume/index settings on the old and new instances to be sure the new instance has the same or more disk space. Decide if you need a new indexes.conf or if you can use the old one. But you should very carefully review the indexes.conf and splunk-launch.conf for unique volume or index paths (default is $splunk_home/var/lib/splunk/, but that doesn't mean that's what you've used) that might not exist on the new instance. Get the new instance indexes.conf configured and test that the indexes are made on disk as desired.

As new data is always coming in, you have a choice to make at this point: flip the forwarders over to the new instance first, or migrate the old instance data first? Most will flip the forwarders over for data continuity and then migrate the old data after.
Flip the forwarders and other data sources to the new node. Test that data is going to the right indexes.
Migrate the old data. If you still have single-digit bucket numbers in the old data, you should give the bucket numbering a bump because you don't want to overwrite your newly indexed data with old stuff.

Once that's accomplished, you can invite more users on to the new instance. Test all the apps, make sure you can see old and new data, and prepare for users saying they're missing some configuration.

I've discussed a single-instance by-hand migration, but it gets significantly more complex for a distributed environment. This is where professional services is often called-in for guidance, procedural review, and order-of-operations confirmation.

Tags (1)

wmbsrinath

Thanks a lot for your response @ekost , i will try the same and get back to you once done.

0 Karma

ekost
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Happy to help! Hopefully you have some time to implement the changes, and document what you find as you go for later internal reference. You also have your Sales Engineer to reach-out to with questions.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you would be better off moving your entire existing 6.3.2 instance to the new server and then upgrading to 7.2.6 afterwards. See Migrate a Splunk Enterprise instance, and then you would do a normal upgrade as described in How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise. You will have to upgrade from 6.3.2 to 6.6.x, and then to 7.2.6.

Or you could upgrade from 6.3.2 to 7.0.x, and then to 8.0.2, if you want the latest software. See the 8.0.2 version of How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise for more information about that.

wmbsrinath

@ChrisG Thanks for your response, unfortunatley new servers have been already built with the the splunk version 7.2.6 , and it is the requirement that we have to decommssion the old servers which are insttaled with 6.3.2 version.

So could you please suggest how we can migrate the data from Old Server ( with version 6.3.2 ) TO New Servers ( with the version 7.2.6). basically i want Same data including all the dashboards , indexers , reports and alerts to be present on new servers. is it possible to just copy data from splunk home directory to new server's splunk home directory ? or what is the correct process, please suggest.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

You said servers, so you have clustered or distributed environment?

Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...