Installation

License exception thrown when trying to explore data?

srhalstead
Engager

Hi all,

We've recently started seeing the following exception when trying to explore data in our virtual indexes.

"[acme] Error while running external process, return_code=255. See search.log for more info [acme] Exception - java.lang.RuntimeException: Permission denied. License does not allow execution of searches on virtual index=syslog. Only archive indexes allowed in ERP family=hadoop"

Can anybody shed any light on what may be causing this exception? The wording suggests that there's a problem with the license but looking at the Licensing page, I can see there is a "Splunk Analytics for Hadoop License" installed which doesn't expire for a few months.

The exception is raised when we attempt to Explore Data as follows:
1. Login to Splunk as a user with the admin role
2. Click on the 'Explore Data' icon on the Splunk Enterprise landing page
3. Select the Provider and Virtual Index from the drop-down lists
4. Splunk shows 'Loading...' briefly then shows the exception shown above.

We are able to search this virtual index through the "Search & Reporting" app without any problems.

We're running Splunk version 6.5.2.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Labels (1)

johnhsu
Observer

I have same issue with Version 6.6.2 and 6.6.3

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...