Installation

How to unlock an expired 50G Dev license?

jkmetz

So my 50G DEV license expired, Splunk returned to free license, then my search capability was locked...

I went back in later and saw this, so I got another dev license, put it on my dev box expecting things to start working as normal.....
But no....

Still locked from doing searches...

Silly.... How do I unlock now?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ilya_resh
Engager

if you have some other valid production license (i.e you have a support entitlement) I'd suggest you try to open a support case with Splunk and explain the situation and ask for a reset key.

I've previously has success with this approach.

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

I believe you have to request every 6 months. One is for organizations and one is for individuals.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/personalized-dev-test-licenses.html

https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/dev_license

0 Karma

jkmetz

Yes I understand that. But I let it lapse. I now have the new 6mo license installed it shows it as a valid license in splunk but the ability to search is still locked. So now I have splunk enterprise with a valid license that won’t let me search because I went over when it was lapse and in its free state. Lol. It’s dumb, one would think getting a valid license installed would put it in a working state, yet it seems I have to somehow get an additional forgiveness license to re-enable the search function I’m trying to figure out how to now unlock it.

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

A sales rep or Splunk support should be able to give you a license unlock. You can also try

./splunk clean all

assuming you don't mind deleting all data and resetting to defaults.

0 Karma

jkmetz

wow, thats kind of inconvenient.. they get enough money from us you would think this would be an easy thing.... lol

0 Karma

ashajambagi
Communicator

did you get any license violation warnings?

0 Karma

jkmetz

when i logged into the dev system after a few months.. yea..

0 Karma

jkmetz

Yes I understand that. But I let it lapse. I now have the new 6mo license installed it shows it as a valid license in splunk but the ability to search is still locked. So now I have splunk enterprise with a valid license that won’t let me search because I went over when it was lapse and in its free state. Lol. It’s dumb, one would think getting a valid license installed would put it in a working state, yet it seems I have to somehow get an additional forgiveness license to re-enable the search function I’m trying to figure out how to now unlock it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...