Installation

How to solve TailReader and buckets errors

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi, we have upgraded to 7.2.6 and we are getting errors all the time now. Today we have used 3 GB of our licenses- so not much, however, I have issues below (Images).

I have 3 questions:
1) We have a single install (1 search head and 1 indexer) and thinking of moving to 5 indexers and 1 search head, will this help this issue?
2) What happens when the tail reader is full, who suffers what are the impacts, how can I help this?
3) What happens when buckets are full, who suffers what are the impacts, how can I help this?

Thanks in advance
Rob

alt text
alt text

Labels (4)

jorgeisaacm
Engager

I have just adjusted the parameter maxQueueSize in the outputs.conf file to a grater value in the HeavyForwarder, default is 500Kb. That have solved the issue.

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

the first questions that come to my mind are the following:

• From which version did you upgrade to 7.2.6?
  • Which splunk instances are reporting these errors? Only Universal Forwarders? All of them and if not, which versions are affected?

1) We have a single install(1 search
head and 1 indexer) and thinking of
moving to 5 indexers and 1 search
head, will this help this issue?

How many GB per day are you ingesting? Why do you want to move to 5 indexers right away? Do you have any experience in building indexer clusters?
Moving to 5 indexers would not be advisable without further information. One indexer, under optimal conditions, should be able to index 100+ GB per day depending on some factors like the amount of scheduled searches and ad-hoc searches being ran by users.

2) What happens when the tail reader
is full, who suffers what are the
impacts, how can i help this?

You are experiencing issues that might be due to timestamping problems. Make sure your data getting indexed has the correct settings applied and _time gets extracted correctly. This thread on answers is also a good starting point for troubleshooting.

3) What happens when buckets are full,
who suffers what are the impacts, how
can i help this?

A high number of buckets created should be avoided. Because of how Splunk works, it will impact your performance when many buckets have to be opened and kept open (due to the mentioned timestamping problems for example).

Skalli

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

To answer some questions.
From which version did you upgrade to 7.2.6? -
[RL]we came from 7.1.6.

How many GB per day are you ingesting? Why do you want to move to 5 indexers right away? Do you have any experience in building indexer clusters?

[RL]We are ingesting 40Gb per day on a busy day, but today when i have the issue we have done 3GB.
We are thinking of increasing our indexers anyway due to other issues and i wanted to know it it would help here? I dont mind how many i go to but i just want to know if that will help this issue, I have some experience in setting it up.

Some of our data does not have a time stamps, i am not sure if i can do anything about that as i needed it. I know the specific source type its GC data with no timestamp.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Rob

0 Karma

splunk_abhishek
Explorer

Hi @robertlynch2020 , did you find any solution to this issue?

0 Karma

fatmaBouaziz
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hello,

I have the Same issue, since i started monitoring my log files on an other splunk server.

Did you manage to solve your problem?

BR,

Fatma.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...