Installation

How to move .dat files after moving indexes to another volume?

dipereira

Hello,

I have moved our $SPLUNK_DB folder to a SSD disk to improve performance.

But I realized that .dat files are still writing in my old $SPLUNK_DB folder ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk) and the index folder has been updated correctly in my new SSD volume.

What files could I delete in my old folder and how I set a configuration to splunk starts writing .dat files in the new $SPLUNK_DB folder?

Obs: I have followed Splunk documentation "How to move splunk index".

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dipereira

Anyone could help me understand why .dat files has been populated in /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk instead of the new storage set in splunk-launch.conf at SPLUNK_DB attribute?

0 Karma

kmjefferson42
Loves-to-Learn

I am curious to know also! I have moved my SPLUNK_DB to a separate drive but the .dat files are still being created/updated to the default location.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

Did you change the $SPLUNK_DB folder old path to new path under indexes.conf. This will avoid splunk under default location.

Please go through below link for further clarification,

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/149248/how-to-move-index-from-one-hard-drive-to-another-in-splunk...

0 Karma

dipereira

Hi, thanks for the fast reply! =]

I did this:

Stopped Splunk

moved the old $SPLUNK_DB($SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk) to the new one /splunkdb: cp -rp $SPLUNK_DB/* /splunkdb

Created $SPLUNK_DB variable: export SPLUNK_DB=/splunkdb

Changed the SPLUNK_DB=/splunkdb in splunk-launch.conf.

Started Splunk

After that I saw .dat been populated in old folder.

I didn't change any configuration in indexes.conf, do I need to do something there?

0 Karma

rteja9
Path Finder

Hi dipereira, I am having the same issue. I still see dat files getting generated at default locaton even after I moved DPLUNk_DB path. Did you find any solution?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...