Installation

How to check license usage directly on license server in Splunk cloud?

lbogle
Contributor

Hello,
I am looking to try and find a way to look at Splunk license usage in our Splunk cloud environment directly on the license server. I do not have HTTPS/Web access to the Splunk cloud licensing server and need to find this information out using a query or perhaps using |rest (if possible). Anyone know how I could do this? I think I am able to find license usage by querying the indexers directly but it's very slow.
Thanks for any assistance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is no direct access to the license master in cloud (cluster). So you can only search on the license_usage.log forwarded to the indexers.

Ps: on splunkcloud single instance ( self service) there is no license master. but you do not have the capability to query the license rest. so tje solution is also to look at the logs.

View solution in original post

timpacl
Path Finder

Splunk Cloud includes a monitoring Console app that shows you your daily indexing volume over the last 30 days.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is no direct access to the license master in cloud (cluster). So you can only search on the license_usage.log forwarded to the indexers.

Ps: on splunkcloud single instance ( self service) there is no license master. but you do not have the capability to query the license rest. so tje solution is also to look at the logs.

lbogle
Contributor

Thanks Yann. Appreciate it.
I'm new to Splunk's Cloud nuance.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is an app provide to add visibility (look for splunkcloud_status)

0 Karma

lbogle
Contributor

I'm not seeing the splunkcloud_status app under our cloud instance. I checked w/ our team lead and he had not seen this app in our cloud instance. Do you recommend I open a support case to get that enabled?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, please have your authorized contact open a support case.
This app is usually missing on very old deployments, or on large deployments with search-head clustering.

0 Karma

saurabh_tek
Communicator

Any way internally in Splunk Cloud to check that licensing has been upgraded other than opening support case with Splunk ?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Only on single instance, looking at the license pool size.
for cluster, ask your sales contact.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...