Installation

How to Move License from One License Master to Another

rgcurry
Contributor

I am migrating my implementation to a new platform. Part of that process I want to move the "production" license files from the old to the new platform, then the temp license from the new to the old platform so that I can keep both platforms working for a week to assure everything is OK with this migration.

Can I simply copy the *.lic files between the two license master servers to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, you can install the license file on the new license-master.

As long as there is no interaction between the clusters.
(a search head will complain if 2 peers have the same license)

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, you can install the license file on the new license-master.

As long as there is no interaction between the clusters.
(a search head will complain if 2 peers have the same license)

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, in a group of servers (indexers, search-heads, license-master/slaves) the license has to be unique. If a license key is in duplicate, the search-heads or the indexers will complain and disable the search.

The simple solution is to make your other search-head a license-slave of your current license-master.

0 Karma

arkonner
Path Finder

Presently I have a master server with the indexes plus a search head just installed with demo version - I am planning to copy the lic file from the master to the new search head - then I will configure the master as slave server - On the search head using the GUI I will configure this server as part of "enterprice" copying the server.cfg and the lic file - Sounds good?

0 Karma

chimbudp
Contributor

Can i have 2 search heads independent , but still use the same license .
Both the search heads wanted to search the same data (INDEXERS are common)

Need: 1 search head dedicated to user triggered Splunk searches , other for saved/scheduled searches.

Will this implementation work ? OR the Indexers complaint ?

0 Karma

rgcurry
Contributor

"As long as there is no interaction between the clusters."
No, there is none. This is a complete move from one set of servers to another and each operate independently. The old servers will be shut down in a week after everything is confirmed operating as needed and wanted on the new platform.

Thanks Yann! Good to hear from you again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...