Installation

EC2 from AMI having splunk installed stops working

pavanbhatt
Engager

I've set up Splunk on one of my EC2 instances and created an AMI from it. However, when I launch new EC2 instances using this AMI, Splunk stops working on the original EC2 instance. What could be causing this issue? And it is not working on the new machine also.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

How you have installed your splunk into your AMI and how you have configured it before you have created AMI from that EC2 node?

I suppose that you haven't clear GUID for that instance before you created it as AMI?

Here is instructions how to do it for Windows UF clients https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Integrateauniversalforwarderontoasystemima...

Unfortunately I'm afraid that this is not working on Linux? But you could try to the next

• Clean event data
    • splunk stop
    • splunk clean eventdata
  • remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg
  • remove current hostname etc. from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/*.conf files

Probably something else is also needed and if you have anything specific you should add/remove those based on your needs.

Anther option (even better) is use as standard AMI without splunk part and have some automation which installs needed splunk UF version and needed configurations always when you launch a new EC2 node. 

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

How you have installed your splunk into your AMI and how you have configured it before you have created AMI from that EC2 node?

I suppose that you haven't clear GUID for that instance before you created it as AMI?

Here is instructions how to do it for Windows UF clients https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Integrateauniversalforwarderontoasystemima...

Unfortunately I'm afraid that this is not working on Linux? But you could try to the next

• Clean event data
    • splunk stop
    • splunk clean eventdata
  • remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg
  • remove current hostname etc. from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/*.conf files

Probably something else is also needed and if you have anything specific you should add/remove those based on your needs.

Anther option (even better) is use as standard AMI without splunk part and have some automation which installs needed splunk UF version and needed configurations always when you launch a new EC2 node. 

r. Ismo

pavanbhatt
Engager

Thank you for your response; it pointed me in the right direction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...