Installation

Deprecated cluster manager license already in use issue.

peace_profound
Observer

I terminated an aws instance that also happens to be my cluster manager, so now when I created another cluster manager I get an error message saying that my license is already in use when I add the same license to my nodes. Please how can I solve this issue. Thank you. 

Error [00020000] Instance name "indexer02" License key 5C52DA5145AD67B8188604C49962D12F2C3B2CF1B82A6878E46F68CA2812807B used by peer is already in use by another peer in the deployment. Last Connect Time:2024-01-23T19:23:35.000+00:00; Failed 6 out of 6 times.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And how are you managing your license? If you have a cluster you should have a designated license master and manage your license there. Otherwise you'll get errors like this.

0 Karma

peace_profound
Observer

Hi @PickleRick 

I do have a cluster manger that handles all my licenses, the issues I am having is with my first cluster manager aws instance just stopped connecting out of the blue so I terminated the aws instance. So now its seems like that terminated instance some how is still connected to the license and this my new cluster manager error is that the license is been used by the terminated aws instance

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For managing licenses you use License Manager. Sometimes it can be an additional role on the same machine that works as Cluster Manager but it's not recommended.

So there are two different things here. And if your indexers are still connected (or at least configured for) the old LM and remember the license they were granted from the old LM. And since the new CM (even if it's configured to work as LM as well) has not apparently granted the license to the indexers, you'll have a clash.

0 Karma

peace_profound
Observer

Hello @PickleRick  for your insight, yes that's exactly what I am saying, the new nodes cany get license from the new cluster manager because  its clashing with the old terminated/obsoleted aws instance.  How do I resolve this please?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you point your servers to a new license manager? (Not cluster master - that's a different functionality even if done on the same server)

0 Karma

peace_profound
Observer

Hi @PickleRick  Yes I did, I pointed all the peer nodes to the CM which is also my License Manager. 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok. Then what does the

splunk btool server list license

say?

Also

splunk list licenses
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...