Installation

Check Splunk Version in Shell Script before upgrading.

Smokex365
Engager

I've been working on a set of shell scripts to help automate upgrading splunk. So far I've pretty much gotten working as far as downloading the installer (.deb in this case) and running through the upgrade. What I'd like to do now is make it check the installed version against the downloaded version and either update it if the downloaded version is newer or abort if the installed version is newer.

Also, if anyone has found a way to get a clean url, ie. http:///latest/release, instead of the mess you get now.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given you're working with .deb, what stops you from putting up a local apt repository and hosting Splunk from there? Then when you put a new version of Splunk there a simple apt-get update will get the newest version if and only if it is necessary...

0 Karma

Smokex365
Engager

One reason is that I'm attempting to make the script usable by anyone so it's not just personal use. Another is that setting up a repository seems like a lot of work, especially if I went with multiple servers.

If I could get this solution working it would be as easy as downloading the main script, running it (which it retrieves the latest upgrade script already) and waiting for it to finish.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Check in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version?

/K

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...