Installation

App not upgrading/updating when exporting to new server.

vtsguerrero
Contributor

I used to develop in an old server Splunk instance and deliver it to the official server instance by exporting the app.

Then, we had to change the old server to a new server, but all backups were made (indexes, sources, and apps) to the new server.

I developed some changes in the new server, but now, when I export the official server, it doesn't show any new dashboard in the view.

Does anybody know a possible cause of this?
Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The reason probably because you have some stuff saved under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/myApp/local. The local directory has precedence and so even though you are delivering a new version in default, if you do not destroy the entire old app (or at least the local directory), it will get overridden by anything in local. Similarly, you should check for (private) stuff in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/users/*/myApp/, too.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The reason probably because you have some stuff saved under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/myApp/local. The local directory has precedence and so even though you are delivering a new version in default, if you do not destroy the entire old app (or at least the local directory), it will get overridden by anything in local. Similarly, you should check for (private) stuff in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/users/*/myApp/, too.

vtsguerrero
Contributor

Thanks @woodcock that's exactly what has happening.
Now I just gotta figure out which one does Splunk edit as latest version to consider in directory.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What do you mean by export and show? Are you using DS?

0 Karma

vtsguerrero
Contributor

I'm using cmd> spluck package app myApp
Then, when I go to main server and upload .tgz or .tar, dashboards doesn't change at all...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...