Getting Data In

what is this typos in outputs.conf ?

sieutruc
Contributor

Hello

I got a strange error as:

Checking conf files for typos...
Possible typo in stanza [indexAndForward] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/linuxForwarder_output/default/outputs.conf, line 8: selectiveIndexing = true
There might be typos in your conf files. For more information, run 'splunk btool check --debug'

and my outputs.conf is

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = noforward
disabled=false
[indexAndForward]
index=true
selectiveIndexing=true
[tcpout:indexer01]
server=178.17.0.46:9997
[tcpout:indexer02]
server=178.17.0.47:9997

Can you show me why ? i just only copied the word and it seems not to have any erro

Tags (1)
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The configurations typo check is compared to the spec files stored in system/README, example for outputs.conf
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/outputs.conf.spec

I checked the spec and the parameter "selectiveIndexing" is not listed. While it is mentioned on the documentation there : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.4/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad
It may be an obscure missing parameter in the spec, or a mistake in the docs, let me open a bug to find out.

Except the typo warning, is your configuration working ?

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

@sieutruc, I don't see anything outright. You could have a char outside the standard unicode table causing Splunk to choke. Also have you edited your inputs.conf to have explicity target groups, but I am guessing you are not getting that far.

I would try using:

./splunk cmd btool check -dir=/opt/splunk/etc/apps/linuxForwarder_output/default outputs --debug

./splunk cmd btool dir=/opt/splunk/etc/apps/linuxForwarder_output/default outputs list --debug

This might help display where exactly.

Usebtooltotroubleshootconfigurations

Note: btool is not tested by Splunk and is not officially supported or guaranteed. That said, it's what our Support team uses when trying to troubleshoot your issues.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

sieutruc
Contributor

Yes, i did. I configured the inputs.conf to have explicit target groups. I let all configuration file in my office. In fact, i don't understand why it caused an error. I see it run in splunkd log, but without sending externally or locally indexing.
I used winscp edit tool that runs fine until now, just only this time got a problem.
Maybe i'll contact Splunk support if it doesn't work

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The configurations typo check is compared to the spec files stored in system/README, example for outputs.conf
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/outputs.conf.spec

I checked the spec and the parameter "selectiveIndexing" is not listed. While it is mentioned on the documentation there : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.4/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad
It may be an obscure missing parameter in the spec, or a mistake in the docs, let me open a bug to find out.

Except the typo warning, is your configuration working ?

sieutruc
Contributor

So what should i do now ? do i need to update Splunk instance ?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I confirm this seems to be a bug in 4.3.*, the ref is SPL-55915

0 Karma

sieutruc
Contributor

all the configuration worked, the data go from another Universal Forwarder to that machine is transfered to indexer01 and indexer02. But the local input data that i used in inputs.conf:
[inputdata]
_TCP_ROUTING = indexer01
it doesn't be sent to indexer01
that all what i want to say

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...