Getting Data In

unarchive_cmd with Java on a Windows system

SK8
Explorer

Hello,
I have a question for the property unarchive_cmd. I want to parse a textfile and recombine info to a new Log before indexing data.

props.conf

[source::C:\\Users\\...\\testlog\\...txt]
unarchive_cmd = java -jar LogConverter.jar

The command is never run. Does anybody have any ideas?

0 Karma

Martin_Doering
Explorer

I finally got this running on Splunk 6.6.4. The following is required:

1. invalid_cmd=archive needs to be included in the source stanza (not in the sourcetype stanza as stated in the docs).
  2. The jar archive must be specified with its full absolute path.
  3. However, this file path must not contain spaces nor quotation marks. This makes the standard path of "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\..." impossible to use. I had to change this to C:\Progra~1\SplunkUniversalForwarder\... to omit both spaces and quotation marks.

The only difference of my configuration to the problem stated in the question is that I do not use runnable jar files, so my Java call is java -cp C:\Progra~1\SplunkUniversalForwarder\... CLASS_NAME.

I have deployed this to a Windows Universal Forwarder that in turn forwards the parsed data to a Linux Heavy Forwarder. On the HF, I perform some additional field extractions from the file name (which is not available for the unarchive_cmd). So on the UF, props.conf only contains source stanzas, and on the HF, props.conf only contains sourcetype stanzas.

Martin_Doering
Explorer

Same question from my side. I got this running on a Linux universal forwarder, but by a Windows universal forwarder, the command is never run (knowing that because the Java could would otherwise write to a log file).

splunkd.log shows that the archive is processed ("Finishied processing file ..." messages from the ArchiveProcessor), so the "invalid_cause = archive" setting is working.

0 Karma

Martin_Doering
Explorer

Made some progress: I now see some warnings of the "ArchiveContext" component:
Command cmd="java -cp "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\bin.jar" " for archive= failed: exited with code 1.

Need to find out what this is about. My own code does not exit with status code 1 (but rather with 0 or negative numbers).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...