Getting Data In

truncate logs with syslog

torbael
Explorer

Hi,

I'm using an UDP connection with syslog and Splunk.

My problem is that Splunk only show me the firsts 2072 characters of a log. I try to increase the values of "TRUNCATE" and "MAX_EVENTS" inside the props.conf, but it didn't work.

Also I checked with Wireshark that the logs are sended correctly with syslog.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jaoui
Path Finder

I was told that Splunk's syslog implementation is 'RFC compliant' so that it only accepts the first 1KB of a syslog message. Maybe you are running into something related to that limitation?

View solution in original post

jaoui
Path Finder

I was told that Splunk's syslog implementation is 'RFC compliant' so that it only accepts the first 1KB of a syslog message. Maybe you are running into something related to that limitation?

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure if this will help, but did you try setting TRUNCATE = 0? Also, you should keep in mind that MAX_EVENTS only take affect if SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...