Getting Data In

time.sleep not working in modular input ?

sbsbb
Builder

I modified the helloworld in the python modular input example, to poll a website, and calculate the latency.

I don't understand why it is not working when I add a time.sleep, without, it is workint !!?

def do_run():
config = get_input_config()

#TODO , poll for data and print output to STD OUT

while True :
    try:
        interval=float(config['interval'])
        #time.sleep(interval)
        start_timer = time.time()
        resp = urllib2.urlopen(config['url'])
        content = resp.read()
        latency = time.time() - start_timer
        print_xml_single_instance_mode( "time=" + str(start_timer)  + " latency=" + str(round(latency,2)) + " interval=" + str(interval) )
        assert (resp.code == 200), 'Bad HTTP Response'
        #assert ('Example Web Page' in content), 'Failed Content Verification'

except RuntimeError,e:
        logging.error("Looks like an error: %s" % str(e))
        sys.exit(2) 
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try adding a sys.stdout.flush() after the print_xml_single_instance_mode line.

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try adding a sys.stdout.flush() after the print_xml_single_instance_mode line.

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

It's because sys.stdout is buffered. In a sleep loop you need to explicitly flush the buffer.With the sleep the script exits and flushes the buffer for you.

0 Karma

sbsbb
Builder

could you explain me why this is needed ?

0 Karma

sbsbb
Builder

Hi in fact the only change in the script is here, when I uncomment #time.sleep... it doesn't work, it is commented, then it works.
The rest ist the normal helloword from the python sdk modular input
http://dev.splunk.com/view/python-sdk/SP-CAAAEBB

0 Karma

Simon
Contributor

Actually you should see what your method print_xml_single_instance_mode() prints to stdout, which should get indexed later. If you like to, you can send me over your script and I'll try to debug it...

0 Karma

sbsbb
Builder

I tried on windows, put I only see a black new terminal, without anyting... no output, is there something I have to set to verbose ?

0 Karma

Simon
Contributor

Did you try to run the script by hand? For example like:
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config yourmodinputname | $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd python $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/yourappname/bin/yourmodinputname.py

This always helped me to debug the modular inputs since it's the way how splunk will launch them.

sbsbb
Builder

If I run without the time.sleep, everything goes fine, i get a lot of answers...
If I run with, I have no errors in the splunk.d logs, and nothing being indexed...

0 Karma

Simon
Contributor

I'm doing exactly the same in several modular inputs. It should work with no issue. Can you describe more precisely what happens when you run it?

Cheers,
Simon

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...