Getting Data In

need help setting up a blacklist

balbano
Contributor

Hi guys,

Trying to make a custom blacklist for one of my input monitor points that excludes certain directories and filetypes (gz).

This is when I have so far:

inputs.conf

[default]

host = myhost

[monitor:///my_monitor_point]

disabled = false

blacklist = (subfolder1|subfolder2|subfolder3|subfolder4|\.gz$|\.\d+$)

index = my_index

sourcetype = my_source_type

Can someone confirm if this is the correct way to do this?

Thanks.

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, the above will work. However, it's probably unnecessary to specify the host as it will be inherited or derived from the local machine name, unless you need it to be different. If you do, it may make sense to specify it under the [monitor] stanza rather than [default], but really it depends on the rest of your usage.

Note that your blacklist might be too broad, e.g., if one of your subfolders is called "bin", then you will also exclude any file named "binary.log" as well as everything in a directory named "bingo". You'd need to make your regex more specific if you want to avoid that happening.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, the above will work. However, it's probably unnecessary to specify the host as it will be inherited or derived from the local machine name, unless you need it to be different. If you do, it may make sense to specify it under the [monitor] stanza rather than [default], but really it depends on the rest of your usage.

Note that your blacklist might be too broad, e.g., if one of your subfolders is called "bin", then you will also exclude any file named "binary.log" as well as everything in a directory named "bingo". You'd need to make your regex more specific if you want to avoid that happening.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...