followLinks = false
signedaudit = false
fullEvent = true
delayInMills = 1000
pollPeriod = 600
sourcetype = linux_etc_full_fschange
hashMaxSize = 1048576
filters = files

I know you are not support to use two monitory inputs against the same files, but I didn't see anything in the documentation that says this would be a bad idea for fschange. My goal is to monitor /etc/passwd and /etc/group for changes and to log the files on a change so I can easily review user adds/changes/deletes.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This isn't a great idea for fschange. You are going to run into some odd behaviors that might not be entirely consistent. Also, I don't think you need the 'hashMaxSize' value, so I would suggest you leave it off. I've seen this cause continual updates to files on certain systems and wouldn't use this unless it is explicitly needed.

I would suggest that you remove your whitelist and sourcetyping from inputs.conf as it seems your goal is to get different sourcetypes applied to these inputs. You can use props/transforms to take care of sourcetyping.

So keep the fschange stuff that you've got to monitor the entire /etc/ folder, I think that should work. The unix app does something similar, which you can look at if you'd like, its similar to this:

[monitor:///etc]
_whitelist=REGEX

[config_file]
LINE_BREAKER = ^()$
TRUNCATE = 1000000
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE
CHECK_METHOD = modtime
KV_MODE = none
pulldown_type = true
SEGMENTATION-all      = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-inner    = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-outer    = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-standard = whitespace-only
LEARN_MODEL = false

[source::/etc/(passwd|group)]
sourcetype=config_file
CHECK_METHOD = modtime

setting the sourcetype to config_file and then calling this line breaker indexes the whole file.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This isn't a great idea for fschange. You are going to run into some odd behaviors that might not be entirely consistent. Also, I don't think you need the 'hashMaxSize' value, so I would suggest you leave it off. I've seen this cause continual updates to files on certain systems and wouldn't use this unless it is explicitly needed.

I would suggest that you remove your whitelist and sourcetyping from inputs.conf as it seems your goal is to get different sourcetypes applied to these inputs. You can use props/transforms to take care of sourcetyping.

So keep the fschange stuff that you've got to monitor the entire /etc/ folder, I think that should work. The unix app does something similar, which you can look at if you'd like, its similar to this:

[monitor:///etc]
_whitelist=REGEX

[config_file]
LINE_BREAKER = ^()$
TRUNCATE = 1000000
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE
CHECK_METHOD = modtime
KV_MODE = none
pulldown_type = true
SEGMENTATION-all      = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-inner    = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-outer    = whitespace-only
SEGMENTATION-standard = whitespace-only
LEARN_MODEL = false

sourcetype=config_file
CHECK_METHOD = modtime

setting the sourcetype to config_file and then calling this line breaker indexes the whole file.

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That is interesting, but I didn't test the specific configuration. Glad to hear a wildcard takes care of it though.

0 Karma

imacdonald2
Path Finder

Interesting the following works

[source::*/etc/(passwd|group)]

but

doesn't

0 Karma

imacdonald2
Path Finder

I have this working if I split it out into

[source::/etc/passwd]
and
[source::/etc/group]

but

Isn't working any suggestions?

0 Karma

imacdonald2
Path Finder

Thanks, I am testing it.

And to confirm what you were saying having two [fschange:/etc/] entries does not work, it keeps adding and removing all the files in the /etc/

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I edited my answer to reflect your goals. I THINK this has a good chance of being a solution.

0 Karma

imacdonald2
Path Finder

So the goal is to be able to do a diff on just /etc/passwd and /etc/group from with in splunk, but have all other files in /etc be logged for changes but not store the contents of the files. if having 2 fschange directives on the same directory is not recommended, do you have any suggestions?

I will be using the same sourcetype when I roll this to prod, its different just for testing

After posting I discovered that doing a whitelist on its own didn't seem to limit it to just those two files, so I added the following

[filter:blacklist:blfiles]
regex1 = .*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...