Getting Data In

is the index field in inputs.conf case sensitive?

rjk123
Explorer

I have an example where logs are not shown in splunk search, and I can see the index name in the inputs file has mixed case, but the actual index name is all lower case. Will this the cause the logs to not get ingested?

I also note the sourcetype case is wrong too, so are any/all these fields case sensitive?

actual index name: "target_index"

[monitor:///file/path/logfile.log]
index = Target_Index
sourcetype = mBAS_log
disabled = false

Thanks for the help.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rjk123
Explorer

Don't worry, I think I found it.

I can see other logs configured in inputs.conf with the same case, and these show up okay in splunk.

Answer = NOT case sensitive.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rjk123
Explorer

Don't worry, I think I found it.

I can see other logs configured in inputs.conf with the same case, and these show up okay in splunk.

Answer = NOT case sensitive.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What we had found is that at least older versions of splunk handling sometimes index names as case sensitive and sometimes not. For that reason I propose that never mix the cases on index names.

We e.g. have seen this kind of names on SPLUNK_DB dir:

• aaa_aaa/thaweddb
  • Aaa_Aaa/db
  • AAA_AAA.dat

Couldn't check which one in which context but all those are generated from one [Aaa_AAA] etc. entry! I don't recall that we have had any functional issues with this, but as soon as we realised this we change the naming to contains only lower case letters, "_" and numbers on index names.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...