Getting Data In

inputs.conf gets overwritten on HF/DS

ojay
Path Finder

hi all,

I have a file that i want to monitor on the Heavy Forwarder HF which is the Deployment Server DS at the same time.

Since a deployment server cannot be a client of itself I place the manually created app to 

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/appname/default/inputs.conf

Now after i reconfigure the inputs. After some time the updated gets randomly removed again. As if it is a deployed app.

My question now. What is the best practice to monitor local files on a HF/DS? 

Best,

O.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

hoaxm3
Path Finder

Any app in the /etc/apps directory would not be affected from the forwarder management side of things. The issue is more than likely that you are setting your configs in the $splunk_home/etc/apps/appname/default/.. directory. When you create a base config/app, your configs need to live in the /appname/local/*.conf directory. This lets Splunk know that these are custom configs and should not be changed. Additionally, make sure that you dont have any affecting stanzas matching your inputs files. Check with btool if there are any inputs taking precedence before your config:

splunk btool inputs list <stanza> --debug

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

A deployment server being a client of itself is not supported but is possible. Check to be certain that you you don't have deploymentclient.conf set on the DS under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...