Getting Data In

how does UF handle both metrics and event data

junyuw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have my UF and indexer set up and what I want to do is sending both metrics and event data from UF to indexer.
from my understanding what I could do is set up two stanzas in inputs.conf of indexer like below

[tcp://9997]
connection_host = dns
index = event_index
sourcetype = syslog

[tcp://9998]
connection_host = dns
index = metric_index
sourcetype = syslog

and the idea situation would be sending metric data to <indexer_ip>:9998 and event data to <indexer_ip>:9997 separately
but the problem is it seems impossible to achieve this through configuring outputs.conf (I could send both data to both ports using the data cloning technique mentioned in doc, but that's not ideal)

So is there a way to achieve this separation of data forwarding?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do not use tcp for sending data UF->IDX, use splunktcp / splunktcp-ssl. One connection of that can send data to any number of indexes as defined in the UF's inputs.conf.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...