Getting Data In

host_segment being overridden

tlmayes
Contributor

I am using the following in a configuration being distributed to several remote syslog servers.  Works as expected on all UF's, except 1.  From a single UF's, the 'host' field in the indexed events is being reported as "PaloAlto" instead of the 4th segment as expected? 

I searched through all of the .conf files on the UF manually and used BTOOL looking for a missed "host_segment" entry or something hidden in another config that would cause this, none found. 

Am I am missing something obvious to the rest of you?

[monitor:///app01/logs/ASA]
whitelist = .+\.log$
host_segment = 4
index = syn_netfw
sourcetype = cisco:asa
ignoreOlderThan = 2d
disabled = 0

[monitor:///app01/logs/PaloAlto]
whitelist = .+\.log$
host_segment = 4
index = syn_netfw
sourcetype = pan:log
ignoreOlderThan = 2d
disabled = 0

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

My mystery continues.  On the UF causing the problem.  Restatement:  Collecting PaloAlto logs from multiple UF's, all via distributed inputs.conf below.  (1) UF however is reporting the host as PaloAlto.  Searched through all ./apps/* for possible conf that was overwriting of host_segment and none found. 

Final test, changed target directory AND inputs.conf below from */logs/PaloAlto to */logs/PA using a name that would not have been used in any transforms, etc.  Rules out any offending and hidden renaming of host.

Outcome, the events now show host=PA, even though 'host_segment = 4'

[monitor:///app01/logs/ASA]
whitelist = .+\.log$
host_segment = 4
index = syn_netfw
sourcetype = cisco:asa
ignoreOlderThan = 2d
disabled = 0

[monitor:///app01/logs/PaloAlto]
whitelist = .+\.log$
host_segment = 4
index = syn_netfw
sourcetype = pan:log
ignoreOlderThan = 2d
disabled = 0

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

Thanks.  All data passes directly from the UF to the Indexers.  Same process on 4 UF's, but one acting weird 🙄

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

Sourcetype assignment is distributed as an app from the DS to all UF's, so is 100% identical on all UF's.  

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure that Palo sends the logs in the format you're expecting? Some solutions name their log sending "syslog" but send something that doesn't conform to any standards.

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

Thanks.  Will have to start eliminating Apps until this problem resolves

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is the sourcetype assignment correct on the 1 UF?

The host value can be overridden during Event parsing on HF/Indexer, so you may want to check if some TRANSFORM is applied to that sourcetype.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...