Getting Data In

host name extraction for multiple types of logs

spatil
Path Finder

Hi ,

I have two different types of logs, performance logs and alert logs. for performance logs , I have a folder structure as follows, \Splunk\etc\apps\myApp\logs\log_sample\host1\gn1*.cvs \Splunk\etc\apps\myApp\logs\log_sample\host2\gn2*.cvs \Splunk\etc\apps\myApp\logs\log_sample\host3\gn3*.cvs

here, host1, host2, and host3 are my host names. I managed to extract above host names using "host_segment" in inputs.conf.

Now, for alert logs I have a below directory structure. \Splunk\etc\apps\myApp\logs\AlertLogs*.csv For all these alert logs I need a static hostname say "alert".

How can I configure Inputs.conf to handle above situation ?

Regards, S.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jgauthier
Contributor

on the input stanza, i believe you can set it explicity:

host=alert

I am doing that with my firewall logs, so the host is set to be the city location.

jgauthier
Contributor

What is the host showing up as? You probably want to remove the host_segment here, it's not necessary.

0 Karma

spatil
Path Finder

I have already added below lines in inputs.conf, still it is not working host_segment=7 [source::...AlertLogs...] host=alert

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...