Getting Data In

fschange file monitoring

kkuminsky
Path Finder

Is fschange supposed to generate an even each time it checks or only if a file was changed since the last check?

According to the following article, http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.0.9/Admin/Monitorchangestoyourfilesystem:

generates an event (in Splunk) when that directory undergoes any change.

However that's not what I'm getting when trying to monitor folder. I'm getting a message like this one each 60 seconds:

6/14/10 9:20:52.000 AM Mon Jun 14 09:20:52 2010 action=add, path="C:\TEMP\configs.txt", isdir=0, size=388, gid=-1, uid=-1, modtime="Mon Jun 14 09:17:56 2010", mode="rwxrwxrwx", hash=

What am I doing wrong?

inputs.conf:

[fschange:C:\TEMP\]
index = main
recurse = false
followLinks = false
signedaudit = false
fullEvent = false
sendEventMaxSize = 1048576
delayInMills = 1000
pollPeriod = 60
0 Karma
1 Solution

Lowell
Super Champion

You should get an event like this only when a change is detected. Are you sure that configs.txt is not being changed (or added and removed) periodically by some process on your system? You should see this repeat in such a situation.

You could look to see if you have duplicate events by running a search like this:

source=fschangemonitor | stats count by host,action,path,size,modtime,mode

If you see "count" higher than 1 than you could be encountering a bug. (It's also possible that the file is being added and removed, in which case you should see a similar number of "add" and "remove" events.)

View solution in original post

rizwan249

yo whatup!

0 Karma

kkuminsky
Path Finder

If somebody cares, we've finally found the reason for such weird behavior. Account that we use to run Splunk services didn't have appropriate permissions over C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\persistentstorage folder.

It looks like Splunk service was failing to update information in it's internal records when monitored file is changed.

The difficulty was that Windows file audit wasn't showing any failed access attempts for Splunk directory. We had to use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to see which files Splunk is trying to access and double-check the permissions.

Conclusion is that if you change account to run Splunk services, make sure it has full control over Splunk directory and all its sub-folders. Also, Windows 2008 sometimes doesn't properly propagate permissions to sub-folders when you change them for parent folder.

0 Karma

JShood
Explorer

I had the same problem Windows 2003 x64, latest version of splunk 4.3.3, build 128297. Adjusting permissions on C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\persistentstorage fixed it. Thanks for posting!!

0 Karma

kkuminsky
Path Finder

Thank you for the reply.

I've enabled file access audit to make sure no other process is accessing the file. There are only Splunk read attempts every 60 seconds:

An attempt was made to access an object.

Subject:
    Security ID:        TEIG-LOG\Splunk
    Account Name:       Splunk
    Account Domain:     TEIG-LOG
    Logon ID:       0x2a57e87a7

Object:
    Object Server:  Security
    Object Type:    File
    Object Name:    C:\TEMP\configs.txt
    Handle ID:  0x6a0

Process Information:
    Process ID: 0x660
    Process Name:   C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunkd.exe

Access Request Information:
    Accesses:   READ_CONTROL

Access Mask:    0x20000

Here is what search for duplicate events returns:

host action path size modtime mode count 
2 TEIG-LOG add C:\TEMP\configs.txt 388 Mon Jun 14 09:17:56 2010 rwxrwxrwx 14 

So you are saying it may be a bug? I'm running version 4.0.9, build 74233

0 Karma

kkuminsky
Path Finder

I've opened a support case but haven't heard anything back yet. Also, I've upgraded to the latest version (4.1.3-80534) but it's still the same.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I don't know for sure, but it certainly sounds like a bug. I know there are issues with the fschange input on Windows, but I have no idea if this is one of the known problems or not. In any case, it's probably best to open a support case with splunk support.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

You should get an event like this only when a change is detected. Are you sure that configs.txt is not being changed (or added and removed) periodically by some process on your system? You should see this repeat in such a situation.

You could look to see if you have duplicate events by running a search like this:

source=fschangemonitor | stats count by host,action,path,size,modtime,mode

If you see "count" higher than 1 than you could be encountering a bug. (It's also possible that the file is being added and removed, in which case you should see a similar number of "add" and "remove" events.)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...