Getting Data In

extracting values ​​from fields in metrics

Be_JAR
Path Finder

Hello.

I am working with opentelemetry metrics. I have a metric type index, and the format of the payload I receive is like this:

Be_JAR_0-1719410145708.png

example payload :

{"deployment.environment":"entorno-pruebas","k8s.cluster.name":"splunk-otel","k8s.namespace.name":"default","k8s.node.name":"minikube","k8s.pod.name":"my-otel-demo-emailservice-fc5bc4c5f-jxzqz","k8s.pod.uid":"5fe1ada8-8baa-4960-b873-381b475b2b26","metric_type":"Gauge","os.type":"linux","metric_name:k8s.pod.filesystem.usage":491520}

I need a search that retrieves the various values ​​of the k8s.pod.name field. I'm trying different variations of the search, but I can't get it:

|mstats avg(_value) as VAL WHERE index=otel_k8s_metrics metric_name="metric_name:k8s.pod.filesystem.usage*"
|spath input=_raw path=k8s.pod.name output=k8s.pod.name
|stats values(k8s.pod.name) as k8s.pod.name
|table k8s.pod.name

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work. Metrics type indexes support spath

I appreciate any ideas

BR 

JAR

Labels (1)
0 Karma

KendallW
Contributor

Hi @Be_JAR  In your first screenshot, it looks like the k8s.pod.name field is already being extracted correctly? It seems to get extracted correctly when using this run-anywhere search using the payload you provided:

| makeresults
| eval _raw="{
  \"deployment.environment\":\"entorno-pruebas\",
  \"k8s.cluster.name\":\"splunk-otel\",
  \"k8s.namespace.name\":\"default\",
  \"k8s.node.name\":\"minikube\",
  \"k8s.pod.name\":\"my-otel-demo-emailservice-fc5bc4c5f-jxzqz\",
  \"k8s.pod.uid\":\"5fe1ada8-8baa-4960-b873-381b475b2b26\",
  \"metric_type\":\"Gauge\",
  \"os.type\":\"linux\",
  \"metric_name:k8s.pod.filesystem.usage\":491520
}"
| spath
| stats values(k8s.pod.name) as k8s.pod.name

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...