Getting Data In

deployment-server question

fisk12
Path Finder

in this manual http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Deploy/Extendedexampledeployseveralstandardforwarder...

they say that i should run this command as part of configuration.

./splunk enable listen 9997 -auth :

when i do it on the machine that is supposed to work as a deployment server i get this error

./splunk enable listen 9997 -auth :

Command error: The subcommand 'listen' is not valid for command 'enable'.

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Forwarders send data to receivers, which are usually indexers. The "enable listen" command is the command that you run on the receiver, not the forwarder. It allows the receiver to listen for data coming from a forwarder.

How you set up a deployment server to communicate with deployment clients is a separate issue, which is convered in the earlier steps in that example.

For more information on forwarding and receiving, refer to:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Deploy/Aboutforwardingandreceivingdata

fisk12
Path Finder

Splunk Universal Forwarder 4.2.1 (build 98164)

Am i supposed to run the command on the deployer-server or the client?

0 Karma

jkerai
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It should be run on the indexer that will listen and receive data from from universal forwarder on port 9997. I am assuming that your indexer will serve the purpose of Deployment Server as well. If so, you can run the command on DeploymentServer/indexer.

0 Karma

jkerai
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Could you provide the output of following command 'splunk version'. Can you check if you are running the command on indexer or Universal forwarder?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...