Getting Data In

curl (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to .splunkcloud.com:8089

bschaap
Path Finder

I'm following the REST API tutorial with Splunk Cloud but receiving the error below. Url, ip address, username, and password are sanitized.

curl -v -k -u : https://deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089/servicesNS//search/saved/searches/ -d name=mysearch -d search=*

* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache

* Trying ##.###.###.###...

* Connected to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com (##.###.###.###) port 8089 (#0)

* successfully set certificate verify locations:

* CAfile: none

CApath: /etc/ssl/certs

* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

* Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089

* Closing connection 0

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bschaap
Path Finder

This turned out to be a firewall issue even though it did not appear to be initially. See comments for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sobhiapetter

Like you I am using ERR SSL PROTOCOL ERROR Not Responding site to get that error solution, and believe me I found the perfect solutions from that site and there is the number of problems described and their solution in the perfect manner.

0 Karma

bschaap
Path Finder

This turned out to be a firewall issue even though it did not appear to be initially. See comments for more details.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are already using the insecure switch, can you confirm that curl has the available SSL libraries? Such as running against https://google.com ?

Also double check the curl --version ...

0 Karma

bschaap
Path Finder

It turns out that this was a firewall issue. It didn't appear to be initially because the behavior was different when trying an invalid port instead of 8089. Using an invalid port would wait for a timeout. Port 8089 didn't timeout and instead returned the error message immediately. Once the firewall was modified to allow port 8089 outbound then it began working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...