Getting Data In

csv files are not getting indexed

karthikTIL
Path Finder

hi,
I have lot of csv files under a directory "/opt/splunk/splunkdata/June2014". when i ask splunk to index complete directory, it does not show many files in "search". is it because most of my files have same contents ? How do i make splunk ignore this? fyi., my file names are different.
should i modify crcSalt under "/opt/splunk/etc/system/default" ?if so, to what value?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI,

i was able to solve this problem. there were many input.conf files in different directories as mentioned below and i included crcSalt= in all these files and restarted splunk and it worked.

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/launcher/local/inputs.conf
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf

0 Karma

amitkr0201
Explorer

/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf

Any customization to this file might be overwritten if splunk is upgraded.

Better stick changes in

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf only

0 Karma

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI Amit,

inputs.conf under "/opt/splunk/etc/system/default" is already having "crcSalt = " in two places. Do i need to replace source inside angled bracket with the directory of my csv files "opt/splunk/splunkdata/June2014" which is my source?I did and restarted splunk but it did not help. please let me know.
Snippet of inputs.conf file is below

[batch://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk]
move_policy = sinkhole
crcSalt =

[batch://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk/...stash_new]
queue = stashparsing
sourcetype = stash_new
move_policy = sinkhole
crcSalt =

0 Karma

amitkr0201
Explorer
crcSalt = <SOURCE>  

should help you.
More about that here

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...