Getting Data In

csv advise

a212830
Champion

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with some csv input questions. I have some csv files that are created by users, and which are generated by a cron job (which I don't control). The files are all in the same directory, and have a suffix of .txt. What is the best way to get this data into Splunk? I was thinking curl, but the system doesn't have it. Should I just setup a splunk agent to monitor the files in that directory? The files do get cleaned up, so what happens if they get removed? Will it confuse Splunk?

My second question is how to get splunk to auto-identify the columns? Sample data is below - is there a way to tell splunk that the host is in column 2?

Timestamp=24-May-12 18:41:00,host=APF-US412-RH-Cpu-0,metric=CPU_Utilization,value=2.00000000,DURATION=336
Timestamp=24-May-12 18:46:36,host=APF-US412-RH-Cpu-0,metric=CPU_Utilization,value=2.00000000,DURATION=339
Timestamp=24-May-12 18:52:15,host=APF-US412-RH-Cpu-0,metric=CPU_Utilization,value=2.00000000,DURATION=338

Tags (2)

Ayn
Legend
  1. Just have Splunk monitor the directory. It won't be confused by files being removed - it has pulled the data into its own index so it doesn't rely on that files are kept.
  2. Splunk automatically extracts key/value pairs that are in the form key=value, however host is a special field in Splunk that specifies which host log data originated from so it's likely that the host value from the log events is being overwritten with that. You could extract the field and call it something else, let's say myhost: ... | rex "host=(?<myhost>.+?),"

fk319
Builder

1) monitor the files, splunk is very good about not loading the same file twice, or for that matter, knowing where it left of on a file.

2) look at transforms.conf for:

[extract_csv]

DELIMS = ","

FIELDS = "field1", "field2", "field3"

Ayn
Legend

Yes, #2 is definitely related to #1. By default, Splunk breaks incoming data into new events whenever it sees a valid timestamp, so if it doesn't find one it won't break. This section in the docs covers configuring timestamp recognition well: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.2/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition

a212830
Champion

Thanks. I see data coming in, but a couple of things aren't right:

1) it's not picking up the timestamp in the file as the timestamp to use.
2) It's not generating unique events for each line. Bunches of them are indexed as one event. (Maybe related to # 1?)

Any ideas?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...