Getting Data In

charset issue

perlish
Communicator

Hi, everybody.

I want use splunk to index the data which contain chinese.

Firstly, the base data will send to my splunk universal forwarder.

Then,my universal forwarder will forward the data to my splunk.

The base data char is gb2312.

This is the inputs.conf in universal forwarder.

[udp://514]
connection_host = none
sourcetype = businesslog

This is the props.conf in splunk.

[businesslog]
CHARSET = GB2312

But now the chinese still can`t display correctly.

Wheather i need to define the props.conf in universal forwarder?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This props.conf setting is an index-time setting so it needs to be certain places depending on your configuration. If you are using Heavy Forwarders, it must be on your forwarders but if you are using Universal or Light-Weight Forwarders, it must be on (all of) your Indexers; is it on all of your Indexers?

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

It's checked at parse time, however it's an input time setting. Otherwise the UF would not be able to know if it was cutting multibyte characters in half or not as it sends chunks of data on to the parser.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Fair enough but my point stands that this props.conf should be exported to every node that needs to modify the data (forwarders and indexers) and my suspicion is that it has not been so distributed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...