Getting Data In

change index for some events

yudzhin
Explorer

Hello splunkers. I am new to splunk and have a question on how to change index for events that e.g. have status 404 on index time?  
props.conf 

[weblogs]
LINE_BREAKER = (&&&)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
REPORT-access = access-extractions
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
maxDist = 28
TRANSFORMS-change = notfound,changesourcetype

transforms.conf

[notfound]
REGEX = ".+?"\s(404)
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Index
FORMAT = index::notfoundindex

[changesourcetype]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = ^(.*)
FORMAT = sourcetype::access_combined

example of event:

141.146.8.66 - - [13/Jan/2016 21:03:09:200] "POST /category.screen?category_id=SURPRISE&JSESSIONID=SD1SL2FF5ADFF3 HTTP 1.1" 200 3496 "http://www.myflowershop.com/cart.do?action=view&itemId=EST-16&product_id=RP-SN-01" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.38 Safari/533.4" 294

Changing of sourcetype works fine, but index changing doesn't and I really do not know where the mistake is.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yudzhin ,

At first I don't understand why you want to put 404 events in a different index!

Remember that usually in Splunk are used different indexes basing on two parameters:

• different grants of access,
  • different retention periods.

You can differentiate events using sourcetype or another field, don't think to Splunk as a DB table with fields.

Anyway, I see two things probably not correct:

• in props.conf, you're using two transformations in one command, I prefer to use two different transformations:

TRANSFORMS-notfound = notfound
TRANSFORMS-change = changesourcetype

• I cannot check the regex in notfound stanza, but I don't see, in your sample, anything that could be matched by that regex, could you share a sample with 404?

Anyway, if in your sample 200 is the posizion of 404, you could try this regex in notfound stanza

\"\s+404\s+

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yudzhin
Explorer

Problem solved just by re-typing transforms.conf stanzas, most probably some unexpected character was present.
thank's all for help 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Why are you trying to put all 404s in a separate index? What problem do you expect that to solve?
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

yudzhin
Explorer

@richgalloway I have to do some labs and there is a task to do so 🙂 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yudzhin ,

At first I don't understand why you want to put 404 events in a different index!

Remember that usually in Splunk are used different indexes basing on two parameters:

• different grants of access,
  • different retention periods.

You can differentiate events using sourcetype or another field, don't think to Splunk as a DB table with fields.

Anyway, I see two things probably not correct:

• in props.conf, you're using two transformations in one command, I prefer to use two different transformations:

TRANSFORMS-notfound = notfound
TRANSFORMS-change = changesourcetype

• I cannot check the regex in notfound stanza, but I don't see, in your sample, anything that could be matched by that regex, could you share a sample with 404?

Anyway, if in your sample 200 is the posizion of 404, you could try this regex in notfound stanza

\"\s+404\s+

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

yudzhin
Explorer

Hello @gcusello  and thank's for response.

example of event with 404
69.80.0.18 - - [13/Jan/2016 21:03:08:169] "GET /product.screen?product_id=K9-CW-01&JSESSIONID=SD7SL2FF10ADFF4 HTTP 1.1" 404 2038 "http://www.myflowershop.com/cart.do?action=view&itemId=EST-1&product_id=K9-CW-01" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)" 261

Unfortunatelly changing both regex and separate TRANSFORMS didn't help, after data is uploaded all events are present for webindex, not for notfoundindex.

BTW: I am doing some labs for SE2 certification and I have such task. I understand this has no sense, but I have to do  it 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yudzhin ,

the regex I hinted is correct so try it.

To debug your problem, try if each transformation runs by itself.

Anyway, thinks to your idea to have different indexes!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

yudzhin
Explorer

@gcusello  TRANSFORMS-notfound = notfound is not working separately. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...