Getting Data In

black list regex files starting with a period (.)

coreyCLI
Path Finder

I have seen a few regex examples on this and I have used the regex tools online to test my regex to blacklist files that begin with a period (.) yet this example is not working.

example of inputs

[monitor:///dir/dir/dir/syslog]

index = index

sourcetype = sourcetype

host_regex=syslog\/(?P<host>.*)\.syslog

blacklist = ^\.\S

example filename = .filename.syslog.2021-01-01

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

coreyCLI
Path Finder

Thanks for the quick reply Jacob.  While that didnt work for our specific case I do appreciate the response.  In the end, and I am usure why TBH, this is whats currently in place and working for us to blacklist files that start with a dot (.)

blacklist = \/dir\/dir\/syslog\/\.\S+

0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

You have the ^\. part of the regex correct, but \S is matching a single non-whitespace character as seen here. I assume what you are really going for is ^\.\S*, but it would be more accurate to use ^\..* to blacklist every single file that either is a . or starts with one (see that here). The difference is that using \S* would not blacklist files that start with a . but have a space in them.

(Sorry for the bad formatting. Splunk is throwing all kinds of errors when I try to properly format the text)

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.

coreyCLI
Path Finder

sady its not working for me.  I have also tried something more specific and still no joy.

blacklist = /dir/dir/dir/syslog/.*

and

blacklist = \/dir\/dir\/dir\/syslog\/\..*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...