Getting Data In

Windows Script Input (something simple i'm sure)

hewhib
Explorer

Guys,

Just wondering if you could help me...

When I go to add a scripted input for my Splunk App I get the following error message:

Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'script': The command path `"c:\program files\splunk\etc\apps\winFW\bin\rules.py"` is not allowed for scripted inputs.

Using the following command path:

"c:\program files\splunk\etc\apps\winFW\bin\rules.py"

I have tried it with and without the " , and tried the path as a above and as it appears on the command line (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\winFW\bin\rules.py") Can someone explain where I am going wrong please.

Cheers

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have one working that looks very similar to this in my inputs.conf:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\app_name\bin\script.bat]
disabled = false
index = someindex
interval = #####
sourcetype = somesourcetype

Hope this helps!

hewhib
Explorer

Not sure what I did, but after playing around with my python script, I tried it again and it worked. But thank-you for you help, I will note the last comment, I'm sure I will need it

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Its just a batch file. If your using a python script it should be fine too, just be sure your paths are configured so that Windows understands.

Something like "stuff = open(os.path.join(os.environ["SPLUNK_HOME"], 'etc', 'apps', 'app_name', 'bin', 'scripts', 'yourscript.py'),'r')" would do the trick.

hewhib
Explorer

in your inputs.conf file, I'm assuming you have a batch file not a python script? or do you have a batch file calling the python script.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...