Getting Data In

WinEvent whitelist not working

SoknySplunk
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm trying to do whitelist on windows eventcode on my test environment before applying on production. after apply and reload, there no log activity come to splunk.

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
whitelist1 = 4624,4625,4634,4688,4689,4720,4722-4726,4728,4729,4732,4756,4778,4779
whitelist2 = EventCode="5156" Message="(putty.exe)|(SecureCRT.exe)|(mstsc.exe)|(winscp.exe)"

Thanks in advance your help

0 Karma

vsai0718
Path Finder

Even we had the same issue, but once we had a monitor stanza for the Security.evtx path in inputs.conf. The logs started coming in for the events that you've whitelisted.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Do you mean you have no WinEventLogs (at all) or just you dont see events for 5156?

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

jbrocks
Communicator

Not pretty sure how to understand this, but:

* Both numbered and unnumbered whitelists and blacklists support two formats:
* A comma-separated list of event IDs.
* A list of key=regular expression pairs.
* You cannot combine these formats. You can use either format on a specific
line.

Seems that you might need to transform your whitelist1 one to key=regex format ... but might also mean that you only can not combine list and key=regex format

0 Karma

SoknySplunk
Loves-to-Learn Lots

all events

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...