Getting Data In

Why is one of my indexers crashing frequently with error "replicationStatus Failed failure info: failed_because_BUNDLE_DATA_TRANSMIT_FAILURE"?

dineshraj9
Builder

One my Splunk indexers is crashing frequently and it is not returning results when searched. In the search head, I can see the error:

Unable to distribute to peer named server1 at uri https://server1:8089 because replication was unsuccessful. replicationStatus Failed failure info: failed_because_BUNDLE_DATA_TRANSMIT_FAILURE

Has anyone faced this issue?

0 Karma
1 Solution

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you describe your setup in a bit more detail, please?
1. What version of Splunk?
2. What OS version?
3. How many indexers / search heads?
4. Clustered indexers (replication) or standalone/distributed?

On the surface, it appears your search head cannot communicate with the indexer (which is expected if your indexer is crashing). Have you taken a look at splunkd.log on the indexer to see whether any error messages are logged there?

View solution in original post

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you describe your setup in a bit more detail, please?
1. What version of Splunk?
2. What OS version?
3. How many indexers / search heads?
4. Clustered indexers (replication) or standalone/distributed?

On the surface, it appears your search head cannot communicate with the indexer (which is expected if your indexer is crashing). Have you taken a look at splunkd.log on the indexer to see whether any error messages are logged there?

dineshraj9
Builder

Splunk version 6.3.1 (build f3e41e4b37b2)

Setting -> Distributed Search -> Search peers, my server was showing as failed.

The issue was with the distributed search peer authentication failing for this particular indexer. After the credentials were updated, search heads are able to connect to the indexer and error is no longer showing up.

Thanks for the quick response!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...