Getting Data In

Why is my universal forwarder VM failing to forward data?

syx093
Communicator

I set up a small network using virtualbox and I am now having trouble forwarding data to the host. The laptop I am using has Splunk Enterprise and the VM is a universal forwarder. I know the IP Address because I can ssh into the host from the guest successfully. What I don't now is why the forwarding is failing. I set up my laptop/host (splunk enterprise) to receive data from 3 different ports. The VM is set up to forward data to those three different ports, however, I am getting no events. When I look at splunkd.log for the VM, I notice that I am failing to forward data. It keeps saying the connection either failed or there is no route to the host.

For the VM, the setting for the network is set to bridge adapter.

0 Karma
1 Solution

syx093
Communicator

Never mind I figured it out. Turns out my firewall was blocking port so all I had to do was open the port on the host's end.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

Never mind I figured it out. Turns out my firewall was blocking port so all I had to do was open the port on the host's end.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...