Getting Data In

Why is my nested JSON event not formatted correctly?

Branden
Builder

Can Splunk be configured to allow for interpreting JSON objects with multiple-levels of depth?

Here's an example:

{  
    level:  warn 
    message:  {"invalidPublication":"Publication is valid for indexing at Elasticsearch and will be updated, but has warnings.","authors":[{"lastName":"foo","initials":"fb","firstName":"bar","authorResourceID":99999}],"title":"Some Title","warningReasons":["Invalid value for 'publicationDate' field [Sat Apr 01 2006 00:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST)], year not found in citation - dateComponents: [{\"year\":\"2008\",\"month\":\"6\",\"day\":\"2\"}].]"]} 
    pid:  2888 
    sourceHostname:  somehostname.somewhere.com
    timestamp:  2017-03-13 09:55:40 
}

In the above example, I would like the “messages” field to be interpreted by Splunk so that I can expand/collapse each section inside the message. Right now, it just displays nested JSON as a single string. Is this possible? Thanks!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Branden... While the message JSON structure seems valid, outer JSON seems to be missing proper formatting and commas after each Key Value pairs. Is that how the data looks or is it typo while keying in example here?

Following data for me loaded successfully as json sourcetype and Splunk was itself able to extract all required field including inner jSON like message.authors{}.authorResourceID, message.warningReasons{} and message.invalidPublication etc.

{
    "level": "warn",
    "message": {
        "invalidPublication": "Publication is valid for indexing at Elasticsearch and will be updated, but has warnings.",
        "authors": [ {
            "lastName": "foo",
            "initials": "fb",
            "firstName": "bar", 
            "authorResourceID": 99999 } ],
        "title": "Some Title",
        "warningReasons": [ "Invalid value for 'publicationDate' field [Sat Apr 01 2006 00:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST)], year not found in citation - dateComponents: [{\"year\":\"2008\",\"month\":\"6\",\"day\":\"2\"}].]" ]
    }, 
     "pid":  "2888", 
     "sourceHostname":  "somehostname.somewhere.com",
     "timestamp":  "2017-03-13 09:55:40" 
 }

Needless to say, spath is also able to extract the same.

Branden
Builder

It was a copy/paste error. I should have included the raw data in my post, sorry for the confusion. I believe I'm good now, thanks!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Branden, I see that you have voted both Answers by @somesoni2 and me. Please accepted one of these which has helped you or else provide your own answer and accept so that the question is marked as solved.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have a look at spath command. Passing a field that contains json to this command will parse the json and extract fields.

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

I checked out spath: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Spath

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but all that seems to do is extract the nested JSON into another field containing a single string of text. That doesn't help. Here's what I tried:

| spath output=test path=message{}

I had hoped it would parse the JSON nested within 'message', but it's not doing that...

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you try like this. Use the exact field name in input from your current output.

| spath input=message{}
0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Tried that, but no change... doesn't appear to do anything.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this works for me (based on sample value for message field, everything except the last line is to generate sample data).

| gentimes start=-1 | eval message="{\"invalidPublication\":\"Publication is valid for indexing at Elasticsearch and will be updated, but has warnings.\",\"authors\":[{\"lastName\":\"foo\",\"initials\":\"fb\",\"firstName\":\"bar\",\"authorResourceID\":99999}],\"title\":\"Some Title\",\"warningReasons\":[\"Invalid value for 'publicationDate' field [Sat Apr 01 2006 00:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST)], year not found in citation - dateComponents: [{\\\"year\\\":\\\"2008\\\",\\\"month\\\":\\\"6\\\",\\\"day\\\":\\\"2\\\"}].]\"]}" | table message 
| spath input=message

Can you confirm what's the actual field name under which your json data appears?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...