Getting Data In

Why is my host_segment monitor configuration not working properly?

edwardrose
Contributor

Ok I read the documentation about using host_segment but it does not seem to be working properly

Here is my stanza:

[monitor:///var/log/gns-dmz/network/]
host_segment = 5
sourcetype = cisco:iso
source = syslog
index = network

Under the /var/log/gns-dmz/network there are like 10 directories which are the host names of the cisco switches/routers which are sending their syslogs to this syslog-ng server. The stanza shows the host name as the name of the syslog-ng server and not the host_segment. What I am doing wrong?

thanks
ed

0 Karma
1 Solution

ssmoot_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The reason why this is not working for you is that host_segment uses the source metadata to extract the segment from. Since you are overriding the source by defining source = syslog, the default host will be used.
Try removing the source definition and you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

ssmoot_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The reason why this is not working for you is that host_segment uses the source metadata to extract the segment from. Since you are overriding the source by defining source = syslog, the default host will be used.
Try removing the source definition and you should be good to go.

edwardrose
Contributor

Yeah I found that out yesterday. I removed the source line and everything started working as it should.

thanks
ed

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

The host_segment looks correct, but the sourcetype in your monitor stanza says cisco:iso, not cisco:ios. You might want to correct that.

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

Actually have have two separate host_segment stanzas that are not working on this particular host

[monitor:///var/log/gns-dmz/bluecat/]
host_segment = 5
index = bluecat
sourcetype = dns_syslog
source = syslog

So not sure what I am doing wrong

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

I fixed the sourcetype, which did nothing for my issue about the host_segment not working.

[monitor:///var/log/gns-dmz/network/]
host_segment = 5
sourcetype = cisco:ios
source = syslog
index = network

I have 14 different sub-directories under /var/log/gns-dmz/network (all separate devices) and it still only shows up as ebs-syslog01 (name of syslog-ng server). Not sure why it isn't working.

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

You should post comments on my answer, not answers to your question. This is not a forum, but a way to ask a question and get answers 🙂

1. List the diretory contents of /var/log/gns-dmz/network and post them here.

1. Do you have another monitor stanza for /var/log/? This might be set up in i.e. the Splunk App for NIX . If this is the case it means you are monitoring the same files twice. Splunk will only index them once because it checks for duplicates before indexing.
0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor
[root@ebs-syslog01 network]# ls -lart
total 64
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:24 mamwangw0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:33 amywangw0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:33 wvwangw0a-loopback0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 139.181.40.21
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 ieswangw0b
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 194.196.65.17
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 rumwangw0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 tokwangw0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 ieswangw0a
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:34 hsvwangw0-uloop
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:35 wvwangw0b-loopback0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:35 wana-53-230-12-196
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:35 hsiwangw0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Dec  3 11:35 tw212-static81
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Dec 19 14:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Dec 19 14:29 .
[root@ebs-syslog01 network]# 

Yes I have Splunk_TA_Nix installed on this server as well.

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

I am assuming since Splunk_TA_Nix is installed and monitoring the following

[monitor:///var/log]
whitelist=(\.log|log$|messages|secure|auth|mesg$|cron$|acpid$|\.out)
blacklist=(lastlog|anaconda\.syslog)
disabled = 1

That I am not getting the host_segment to work as you have stated. I will have to change the directory to one that is not being monitored or disable the Splunk_TA_Nix one, correct?

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Hmm, I see it's disabled so it shouldn't really matter. Try monitoring another directory outside of /var/log

The host_segment you have looks OK though. Tried a different Splunk version in case it's a bug?

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

I tried to use /var/testing/devices and then copied the 14 or so directories over and it seems to be working properly now. Not sure why it isn't working in /var/log/gns-dmz

-thanks
ed

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Great to hear that you got it working. It would be good if you could mark my answer as accepted 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...