Getting Data In

Why is Splunk not reading old data in a file?

ankithnageshshe
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers,

I recently ran into an issue where our Splunk forwarder is able to read and index the new lines in the file but not the old lines in the file that were written before configuring the monitoring.

Eg: I set monitor stanza at 3:00 pm for file abc.txt.....so any log that is written after 3:00 is indexed but logs before 3:00 are not indexed.

I tried again with crcSalt for no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Ankith

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi @ankithnageshshetly

Did the answer below solve your problem? If so, please resolve this post by approving it!
If your problem is still not solved, keep us updated so that someone else can help ya. Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi ankithnageshshetty,

check the inputs.conf for the following option:

followTail = [0|1]
* Whether or not the input should skip past current data in a monitored file
  for a given input stanza. This lets you skip over data in files, and
  immediately begin indexing current data.

Defaults to 0 but if set to 1, Splunk will start monitoring at the end of the file - like a tail -f ...

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...