Getting Data In

Why is Powershell input not receiving data?

mikelanghorst
Motivator

I had a windows admin create a powershell script for me (requires code-signing, plus app whitelisting complexity), and have configured as a Splunk input.  It's working fine from a powershell prompt, and I can see from _internal that Splunk is executing it, but I'm receiving no output.

Script:

#main
$command =
{
  try
  {
    $Response = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri 'www.google.com'
    $StatusCode = $Response.StatusCode
  }
  catch
  {
    $StatusCode = $_.Exception.Response.StatusCode.value__
    if ($StatusCode -eq $null){
      $StatusCode = '000'
    }
  }
  return $StatusCode
}
$StatusCode = invoke-command  -ScriptBlock $command
Switch ($StatusCode) {
  '000' { write-warning ('Web_Connectivity url=www.google.com status=failure status_code={0}' -f $statuscode) -Verbose }
  default { write-host ('Web_Connectivity url=www.google.com status=success status_code={0}' -f $statuscode) -ForegroundColor Green }
}

With this inputs.conf:

[powershell://test-internetaccessSplunk]
script = . "$SplunkHome\etc\apps\test_Windows_Scripts\bin\test-internetaccessSplunk.ps1"
schedule = */5 * 9-16 * 1-5
sourcetype = Script:Web_Connectivity
source = Script:Web_Connectivity
index = win_test

*note:  schedule to be updated to once/day once it works.

_internal log events: 

05-10-2022 09:45:00.0001576-7 INFO Start executing script=. "$SplunkHome\etc\apps\test_Windows_Scripts\bin\test-internetaccessSplunk.ps1" for stanza=test-internetaccessSplunk
05-10-2022 09:45:00.8595184-7 INFO End of executing script=. "$SplunkHome\etc\apps\test_Windows_Scripts\bin\test-internetaccessSplunk.ps1" for stanza=test-internetaccessSplunk, execution_time=0.8593608 seconds

Labels (3)
0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

No, transcription isn't enabled.    Splunk version is 8.1.6.

0 Karma

jho-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @mikelanghorst ,

Do you have PowerShell Transcription enabled, perchance?  And also, what is the version of the Splunk that is running the PowerShell modular input?

Cheers,

- Jo.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...