Getting Data In

Why is Powershell generated CSV data that is monitored only getting indexed once and is not indexed again until a Splunk restart?

jamesklassen
Path Finder

I've got an extremely frustrating problem here, at my wit's end and finally coming here.

I've got CSV files being generated by Powershell every 15 minutes. Splunk is set to look at the directory and pull in the CSV files' data. It pulls it in ONCE, and then does not pull the data in again until after Splunk is restarted. What on earth is going on here?

The CSV files look like this, for example:

2016-09-22-13-56-sfbClientConnections.csv

First few lines of the CSV look like this:

"Time","Username","ClientVersion","Fqdn"
"2016-09-22-13:56","user1@domain.com","UCCAPI/15.0.4849.1000 OC/15.0.4849.1000 (Skype for Business)","server1"
"2016-09-22-13:56","user2@domain.com","UCCAPI/15.0.4849.1000 OC/15.0.4849.1000 (Skype for Business)","server2"

inputs.conf looks like this...I've tried with and without the crcSalt:

[monitor://C:\Scripts\SkypeForBusinessClientConnections\logs\*csv]
disabled = false
host = mailmon2
index = sfb
sourcetype = HydroMessaging:SFB:ClientConnections
crcSalt = <SOURCE>

props.conf looks like this:

[HydroMessaging:SFB:ClientConnections]
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
pulldown_type = 1
HEADER_MODE = firstline
FIELD_DELIMITER=,
FIELD_QUOTE="
TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=Time
0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

Try a monitorNoHandle stanza instead of just monitor. (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Data/Monitorfilesanddirectories)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...