Getting Data In

Why does my Splunk instances go down and I am getting below error?

uagraw01
Builder

Hello Splunkers!!

One a everyday basis one of my Splunk instances goes down and i am getting below error. Please suggest me for the permanent fix and workaround for the below error.

splunkd 7081 was not running.
Stopping splunk helpers...

Done.
Stopped helpers.
Removing stale pid file... done.
splunkd is not running.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @uagraw01,

Can you confirm if you have enabled boot-start to run splunk? If not, please consider setting it up using the below command. Ref doc - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Admin/ConfigureSplunktostartatboottime 

sudo $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk enable boot-start -user splunk

You can also configure your Splunk to run as systemd. Reference doc can be found here - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Admin/RunSplunkassystemdservice 

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@tshah-splunk  Yes i already enabled the boot-start on the Splunk server with sudo user.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually I just realised that we have same issue on couple of IHF servers. Those all are used systemd to starting.  Need to check some parameters etc. first and see if those can lead this.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

What you find from splunkd.log ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/)? There should be something which told the reason why it has stopped.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

Below is the error i am getting whenever the instances will goes down.

10-21-2021 09:39:25.152 -0700 FATAL ProcessRunner - Unexpected EOF from process runner child!

10-21-2021 09:39:25.178 -0700 ERROR ProcessRunner - helper process seems to have died (child killed by signal 9: Killed)!

@isoutamo

0 Karma

anem
Explorer

hi if u had found the solution pls post here

Tags (1)
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@anem In my case simply increased the cpu core of my HF. I have increased it from 8 core cpu to 16 core CPU. As of now my problem is resolved but may be in your it differs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...