Getting Data In

Why does event timestamp appear AFTER another date?

jmgilpin

This is my example log file:

-- Daily Prod Started 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0.762 sec

-- BegMo='06/01/2022' 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0.049 sec

-- BegDate='06/01/2022' 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0 sec

-- EndDate='07/28/2022' 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0 sec

-- EndMidNight='07/29/2022' 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0 sec

-- Data Collection Start=7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 7/28/2022 12:36:05 PM 0 sec

How do I pick up the timestamp on lines 2-5 - where there is a date with quotes, and lines 1 and 6, where there is not?  

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jmgilpin,

There's only one thing that I don't understand: are you speaking of the event timestamp, or about the extraction of other fields tin date-time format?

In the first case, as @PickleRick said, you should use TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT to identify the correct timestamp.

In the second case, you should use the first as timestamp and extract the others as fields using regexes.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jmgilpin

My intent was to parse the timestamp of the event - but I do not see a common set of chars to use as the prefix.  The timestamp in quotes is the value of a variable.

Fortunately, I was able to use current timestamp, so I am able to ingest the log files as they are created.

As this is a vendor log - and they are not to keen on changing the log format, current timestamp is workable.

thanks all!

James

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jmgilpin,

if the one you shared is a sample of your logs, you could use as TIME_PREFIX the first datetime yu have:

TIME_PREFIX = ^--\s+Daily Prod\s+Started\s+
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p

Ciao.

Giuseppe

:

0 Karma

jmgilpin

Interesting, I was treating each line as a separate entry, but treating the group of items as a single entry... that would work... will gave that a try and get back to you.

Thanks!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jmgilpin,

good for you,

tell me if I can help you more, otherwise, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors 😉

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Set long enough MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD and define proper TIME_PREFIX which will account for all event versions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...