Getting Data In

Why does Splunk overwrite the 'messages' field in scheduler.log events?

pkeller
Contributor

It seems that scheduler.log events are all prepared for parsing

04-09-2018 23:35:04.548 +0000 ERROR SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;my_lookups;Unix DHCP Refresh", message="Error in 'lookup' command: Lookups: The lookup table 'dhcp_lookup' does not exist or is not available.". No actions executed

Yet, etc/app/search/default/props.conf is insistent on overwriting that so that it extracts EVERYTHING after "SavedSplunker - " into the the 'message' field.

[scheduler]
EXTRACT-fields = (?i)^(?:[^ ]* ){2}(?:[+\-]\d+ )?(?P<log_level>[^ ]*)\s+(?P<component>[^ ]+) - (?P<message>.+)

So, now instead of message being: Error in 'lookup' command: Lookups: The lookup table 'dhcp_lookup' does not exist or is not available

it's expanded to:

savedsearch_id="nobody;my_lookups;Unix DHCP Refresh", message="Error in 'lookup' command: Lookups: The lookup table 'dhcp_lookup' does not exist or is not available.". No actions executed
So the question is, why? And why choose the same fieldname that's already been used in the event itself?

It seems that it would have been much more logical to have chosen a different fieldname than 'message'.

Thank you

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I don't see that field extraction is version 6.2, so not sure in what version it was introduced. It seems like field extraction for the sourcetype splunkd has been copied there is and it's definitely wrong for sourcetype scheduler. I would raise this a bug.

0 Karma

pkeller
Contributor

Thank you I've opened up a ticket on this and have requested that a bug be raised.

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...