Getting Data In

Why did Paloalto URL-Filtering Logs size started growing?

calvinmcelroy
Path Finder

Hi,

Paloalto is one of our largest log sources, and we have been ingesting many different types of pan logs for years via the Splunk_TA_paloalto add-on for Splunk. The firewalls are sending logs to a syslog server also functioning as a UF. On 04/14/22 we noticed that the pan:threat sourcetype has started to grow in volume. Its the roughly the same amount of events, but now the events are on average x2, x3, up to x5 larger in size of bytes.  I also noticed that some of the fields are receiving the wrong data. When I track this back, both issues started happening on 4/14. I have also determined that these larger logs are all coming from one HA pair, out of dozens. 

I am having a very tough time coming up with explanations for the growth, and options to fix the issue on the Splunk side. Has anyone every seen this or have any recommendations on how I may resolve the issue?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...