Getting Data In

Why are the logs being forwarder from one source to the Splunk indexer in a Splunk forwader deployed on a Windows server?

venksel
Explorer

Hi there,
We have Splunk forwarder deployed on a Windows server and inputs.conf is configured with two log sources.

[default]
host = test_OP_CBE_AUX1

[monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs]
whitelist = [\\]cpe2Pims-\d\d\d\d_\d\d_\d\d\.log$
index = pb
sourcetype = json
recursive = false
disabled = false

[monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs\CatalogUpdater]
whitelist = [\\]UnclassifiedExtractor_splunk\.log
index = pb
sourcetype = json
recursive = false
disabled = false

However, we are seeing logs forwarded to Splunk indexer only from [monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs] and other source [monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs\CatalogUpdater] does not forward the logs.

If set disable to "true" for [monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs] -- we immediately see logs being forwarded from [monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs\CatalogUpdater]

This is not a licensing issue. Any inputs on what's causing this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pam

1 Solution

anthonymelita
Contributor

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you tried moving the second input stanza above the first one? Splunk plays by it's own set of order of operations, and maybe the recursive=disabled in the first stanza is blocking the second input which exists in a subdirectory.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I'm not crazy about the whitelist way.

What about something like? -

[monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs\cpe2Pims-*.log]

[monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs\CatalogUpdater\UnclassifiedExtractor_splunk.log]

It's simpler...

0 Karma

venksel
Explorer

ddrillic - it's resolved after following the recommendation from Anthony. I appreciate you taking time to reply to my post and your willingness to help is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Sounds great! recursive = false applies on the entire [monitor://C:\ClearPath\logs]. That's another reason why my suggestion should work and keep it clearer ; -)

0 Karma

venksel
Explorer

anthonymelita - Problem solved!

You are the best and thank you so much for taking time to reply.

Cheers and a happy forth!

0 Karma

anthonymelita
Contributor

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you tried moving the second input stanza above the first one? Splunk plays by it's own set of order of operations, and maybe the recursive=disabled in the first stanza is blocking the second input which exists in a subdirectory.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...