Getting Data In

Why are some Windows event logs indexed in Splunk with a future timestamp?

agneticdk
Path Finder

Hi all

I have a search like this:

index=\* earliest=+1m latest=+30h sourcetype="WinEventLog:Sys*" Message=\*Upgrade\*

It looks at events in the future.

I have a customer that has some events in the future and it looks like it may be related to a restart of the system, maybe only after upgrading the OS.

And it may be related to the machine not having the correct time set when it starts logging, and only after getting the NTP server it logs correctly.

Any of you guys have had same issues? Any comments / feedback would be appreciated.

My guess is it is a Windows problem, not a Splunk problem.

Regards
André

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are using Splunk's built-in WinEventLog input, the only way for this to happen is for the system clock on the forwarder to be incorrect because this is the time that is used for all events and the Indexer does not have anything to do with modifying it.

0 Karma

agneticdk
Path Finder

Yes, so if the server after a restart, maybe only in context of an OS upgrade, has a wrong system clock set until it gets a hold of its NTP server, it could yield some events that are off.

I may have been unclear in my question above. The "looks like it may be related to a restart of the system". The "system" is the OS the forwarder runs on.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...